After reading this week’s readings, primarily chapter six from Why Race and Culture Matter in Schools (Howard), I came to the realization that teachers are also responsible for developing cultural competence in their classes, encouraging better communication and understanding amongst diverse groups. I had previously been under the assumption, as the average person might still be, that children are color-blind and that if a teacher treats everyone the same the students will reciprocate. Unfortunately, the readings point to a different interpretation, even with young kindergarteners. “Seeing Color,” by Lisa Delpit, summed it up when she stated “What you value, you talk about.” If a teacher never talks about race, children will mimic what their parents say, or what they have seen on television, not always the best model.
Ironically, diversity is one of the main reasons I chose the teacher certification program I am in, rather than a private college I was considering. I realized my limitations as a white female and believed that a public university would teach me more about diversity than a private college could. That is also the reason I chose to add Spanish to my course load this quarter. I realized learning more about other cultures would help me better relate to a wider group of students. I am beginning to see, however, that my lessons about diversity will not stop after I leave this college. To be culturally competent, I must become a student of my students and continue to learn from them and their experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment