Where I’m From
I am from guitar lessons and sheet music,
From records and cassette tapes,
and Casey Treat’s top 40 on the radio.
I am from daffodils yellow and sturdy in the wind
returning each year in full force.
I am from evergreen trees,
tall and strong,
steadfast through the years.
From the weeping willow tree with its wide circumference
providing shelter beneath its leaves,
while I waited for the school bus.
I am from my grandmother’s crocheted doilies
and her embroidered frilly pillowcases.
I am from the large family Bible,
With its legacy of names remaining from years past,
I am from picture albums overflowing with pictures of long ago,
hopeful faces, enduring dreams
and long-term struggles.
I am from fried eggs sunny-side up,
sprinkled with salt and pepper.
From hamburger helper casserole and Campbell’s chicken noodle soup,
guaranteed to fight any cold.
I am from my dad’s renovated homes,
From sleeping in the attic in the heat of summer.
I am from climbing trees and neighborhood softball,
joining other children running through the sprinkler,
the sun warming my wet towel and body.
I am from favorite storybooks
like Curious George and Charlotte’s Web.
From posters on the wall and scrapbooks filled with
The Monkees, David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman.
I am from a family tree filled with English pilgrims and Irish immigrants,
whose legacy continues,
whose choices continue to shape my life.
I chuckled when you read this in class. There is so much in here that I recognize from my own life. Thanks for sharing this.
ReplyDelete