Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Mindsets
Our class discussed some excerpts today from Mindset by Carol Dweck. There are two different mindsets, the fixed mindset and the growth mindset. The fixed mindset focuses on there being only one solution and has a fear of failure, whereas the growth mindset learns from failure, and even replaces that word with words like redirection or new opportunities. I believe that I have a growth mindset, as one of the reasons I am becoming a teacher is because I love learning so much, but I always try to do my best and feel badly if others feel that what I do is not good enough for them. I like the strategies used in Mindset to not praise others for their natural talents and abilities but for the work that they have put in. On the other hand, I am not sure I agree with the author when she apologizes to her students when they found the work too easy and then promises to give them something they “can really learn from!” (p. 179). I think sometimes it is good to have some easier assignments instead of only having challenging ones. Perhaps I am feeling that way because of the strenuous work load in my classes right now, but I can’t help but feel the need for a balance in life. I think sometimes it is good to have less challenging assignments that may be more enjoyable than challenging.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment