Friday, October 21, 2011

Beginning to teach

I did it! I taught my first lesson in a junior high school. I admit I was quite nervous planning it, but ironically I kept hearing the song “Courageous” on the radio leading up to the experience, and the lyrics were becoming a mantra of sorts for me. Pastor John Hall and Matthew West wrote, “We were made to be courageous. We were made to lead the way. We could be the generation that finally breaks the chains.” Music has always been the modem that inspires me, and it was working.

My assignment was to choose an appropriate book to read as an interactive read-aloud to the eighth grade English class that I am currently working in as an intern. After talking with the teacher, I learned that they were going to be entering a unit on ethics, and he suggested I pick a short story that would be about a contemporary issue involving an ethical choice teens sometimes have to make. It wasn’t easy to find a short story like that, I found out. I checked the libraries and the Internet, but it began to look as if I would not be able to find an appropriate short story in time. I finally found it, though, and the way I found it seemed as providential to me as the song “Courageous” was.

I was driving home and saw a sign advertising a garage sale that was giving all of its profits toward pancreatic cancer research. Having lost my mother to pancreatic cancer, I couldn’t resist stopping. Sure enough, while there I found a large collection of books, one of which was Taste Berries for Teens. Somehow, I knew that this was the book I was looking for and bought it. Inside I found the story “Party On!” by 15-year-old Susan Hinkle, and it was just what I had been looking for.

Meanwhile, I knew that this was the last week my local movie theater was showing the movie the song “Courageous” was based on, so I decided to further prepare myself and went to see the movie. Sure enough, I found it even more inspiring than the song alone and knew I was ready. I wrote my lesson plan, organized some questions, and waited.

The class seemed to listen and respond well to both the story and my discussion questions, but I still had some doubts until I saw their papers. I had decided to give them a post-writing exercise as an informal assessment, asking them to respond to the question if they would be able to be like Susan, the main character in the story, and stand up to their friends if their friends were trying to get them to do something that they knew was wrong. To more accurately gauge them as a class, I asked them to not put their names on their papers, telling them it would not be graded. I just wanted to know what their responses were. I am a firm believer that it helps a person’s resolve to follow through with an action if they take the time to determine what that action will be ahead of time, like the “stop, drop, and roll” fire-safety technique. I hoped this would lead to similar positive results.

I knew I had accomplished my purpose when I read their papers. They showed that not only did they seem to grasp what it means to be an ethical person, but their comments made me feel like I had made a difference in their lives as well. The majority read something like these two: “Yes, because friends are people that stand up for you and that means you have to stand up for them and help them if they make the wrong choices,” and “I would be able to. My friends would listen to my ideas, and they wouldn’t be my friends if they didn’t.” Yes, there were a couple who said they would still go to the party, even when knowing their parents would not approve, but by far the majority felt they would make the ethical choice to do the right thing. Regardless of their choice, I knew the class had listened to my lesson about ethics, and I believe that is all a teacher can do, to be courageous, to lead the way.

5 comments:

  1. I can relate to your search for appropriate reading material - I am in the process of looking for material for an 8th grade Language Arts block class that relates to citizenship and character development. I want to make sure the reading selection is relevant to my students and that they will be able to make some connections between the reading, what we are working on in class and how that is related to their lives outside of class.

    My cooperating teacher mentioned that she sometimes finds the 'right' classroom material in a similar way that you found Taste Berries for Teens, at the garage sale. She told me to "keep your eyes and ears open and you'll be surprised how many things connect to what's going on in the classroom." Since beginning my teacher preparation I have already noticed that newspaper articles, NPR stories, etc. seem to be filled with relevant educational stories - I seem to be more aware of their relevance to my own work. I am hopeful this new awareness and ability to make my own connections will lead me to select the right reading material for my students.

    I especially liked that you had the students respond to the lesson anonymously and that it was not graded. This allows for you, as the teacher, to assess whether or not the majority of the students understood the content of the lesson, and also gives the students an opportunity to explore their thinking about the presented material without worrying about the grade they will receive on their response.

    Congrats on a successful 1st lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venta, our education librarian, is an excellent resource for you all. She has developed an excellent collection of children's and young adult literature on our campus, and she knows the field really well. She'd love to help you all to find materials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the song. Thanks for sharing it! I felt ridiculously nervous the first time I had to get up in front of our 7th grade social studies class to teach as well. I asked our cooperating teacher to let us have a class everyday, since we teach the same class 5 times each day, and we just do what he did the previous 3 periods, so we don't have to come up with lesson plans or anything, just execute. It's been great for getting over the jitters and getting comfortable in front of the kids.
    I love that you had the kids write for you. Was that your own idea or did your cooperating teacher suggest it? I may see if we can do something similar when we do our read aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teachforthefuture, I am glad that you too are enjoying the song, Courageous, and hope that it inspires you as it has me. What a great opportunity your cooperating teacher is giving you to become more comfortable in the role of being a real teacher. In answer to your question, yes it was my idea. I was hoping the students would be more open and honest if they didn't have to put their names on their papers, and I think they were. I recommend using this strategy if you don't need individual scores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your success; how lovely to have something you are so nervous about go so well. I think it was an excellent idea to have their responses be anonymous. That was a heavy question that you asked them to think about; good for you. I'm sure that many of them thought about their response with more freedom and honesty than they would have if they needed to put their names on their paper.

    ReplyDelete