Sunday, November 27, 2011

One way to collect ideas

I was babysitting last night for a couple cute preschool girls when I happened to glance up at their fireplace mantle. There they were looking down on me – a couple of handmade paper turkeys.
As I was commenting on how cute they were to the girls, it occurred to me. I could use those turkeys! Not those exact turkeys, mind you, but the idea that they presented to me. Here were two different crafts I had never seen before that represented different skill levels. I could use them in different grades or as different choices in one grade. Looking at them, I could determine what needed to be done to remake them, but how would I remember all of the details without taking them home? I could write a detailed description of them – or I could take a picture. I only have a basic cell phone. It’s not a smart phone and doesn’t have many megapixels, but it does take pictures! I now have in my craft file two new crafts that I can pull out for my future elementary school class.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of keeping a craft project file made up of photos. I am constantly coming across ideas that I think would make for excellent student projects... and then I forget them. We come into contact with an enormous amount of information on a daily basis - organizing this information for future reference is a constant challenge. Perhaps photo files are part of the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I use my phone for all sorts of photos - it is just so convenient. Now to organize them, I'm not sure.

    BTW - I have also seen turkeys with paper feathers that students write what they are thankful for.

    ReplyDelete